Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A few of my favorite things

I have decided to do this while I'm still excited (though,admittedly, slightly scared) about the impending trip and not an emotional pile of sludge on the floor.


These are the things I shall miss:
TiVo
90 min massages
my paycheck
a paycheck
a walk in closet (albeit a mini one)
queen size bed
bathroom right off of my room
the carpet in the living room
living in a house that has an entire room devoted to a baby grand piano
driving a minivan
free museum passes
free parking at Lincoln Park Zoo
all the perks at the Museum of Science and Industry
the giant wrap around couch in our living room
all the fruit I can eat
free groceries
free laundry
free bedroom
the Polish cleaning ladies
Flat Top Grill
the Brown Line
walking around downtown
rooftop fireworks
Corcoran After Parties
spending afternoons in Lincoln Park
Farmer's Markets
the crepes at the farmer's market
swimming pool access
performing at The Second City
typing in security codes to get in/out of my house (I don't every time but I do love it)
driving to places on a normal basis that I see in movies
my blasé attitude I've developed of the Magnificent Mile
living in the city my friends want to visit
the island in our kitchen
Chicago style Hot Dogs
Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinders
The Art Institute of Chicago
driving on Lake Shore
living close to a body of water
*Am I missing anything?

Things I will NOT miss:
the screams of other people's children in my sleep
the screams of other people's children when I am not sleeping
white walls
bowtie light fixtures
deer print chairs
the "windy" part of the Windy City
6 way intersections
the Nature Museum
making excuses to not to go to the Field
living in a city that slowing becoming the coffee capital
8 am start times
not having a weekend for basically 17 months
not having skim milk
sharing laundry with little boys and housekeepers
cleaning up other people's messes
being a quieter person
worrying when/if I'd make friends
doing other people's jobs and watching them get the credit
Dominick
feeling weird about inviting people over to my residence
parking stickers (and parking tickets!)
everyone always asking me how I can drive in this city
Scott 1 ply toilet paper
*I'm sure I'm missing things!

All things considered, this was a fantastic year! I'm going to miss a lot. I'm truly grateful that I've got to live on the other side and see how "the other half" lives, definitely differently than Mt Healthy! Sometimes people tell me I don't seem grateful. I am. I definitely am. I acknowledge that, for whatever reason, I've been incredibly blessed. I just never expected this type of blessing. I expected a couple part time waitressing jobs and living with a couple people I met on Craigslist. Instead, God gave me more than I needed, more than I even knew I wanted...and then He threw in some deer print chairs for good measure.

3 comments:

  1. I hate to tell you this...but I think for awhile you're still going to hear other people's kids crying in your sleep. I hear them in my dreams sometimes, and they don't live here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about Italian beef sandwiches? You can't forget those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carissa -- haha...excellent point

    Rob -- I don't eat them (shyly looks away) I mean I would but then I see the all beef hot dog with it's poppyseed bun, relish, tomato, onion, mustard, celery salt, and, it's crown jewel, the upside pickle and everything else fades away.

    I realized today I forgot a few:

    Will Miss:
    watching the skycrapers disappear in the fog early in the monring
    seeing what shade of blue the water in Lake Michigan will be (it changes everyday! swoon...)

    Won't Miss:
    being the "bad parent"
    teaching people how to drive

    ReplyDelete