Friday, October 1, 2010

Adventure #1

If I were a betting lady (which remains to be seen, right Vegas?):
I would have bet 10 to 1 we'd have car trouble during the trip.
I would have bet 50 to 1 we'd have car trouble during the first week.
I would have bet 1000 to 1 we'd have car trouble on the first day.
I don't know I would have even touched a bet about the first 10 minutes.

As I drove away from my house to pick up Mom from Union Station, I felt like something was going on with my headlights. I wasn't for sure until Mom said "you know your passenger side headlight is out?" drat. I didn't know that. I didn't know that was a possibility because the last time I drove my car (last weekend) I had 2 working headlights. In fact, they checked my headlights at the oil change...or at least they said they did.

I threw Mom a headlight bulb that I just happened to have in my car and "what about this?" She looked at me a little incredulously and said, "yeah, that should work." Well, it may work but not right then. No, then we continued on. right out of Chicago.

Alright, fast forward an hour or so, I'm driving along and there is an animal in the road. Now, it's important to note that this animal was already dead and also seemed small. Not that I like to hit animals. not at all. In fact, I have what has been labeled as an "irrational fear of dead animals." That being said, I hit the animal. It was loud. It was a fairly major hit. After it, my foot was shaking and I was asking questions like, "was that a deer?!?!" and "AH! Do you think part of it is on the front of my car?" My ever patient mother responded with, "no" and "do you want to go through a car was?" She's silly.

So now it's time to fast forward even more, let's say about an hour forward in our journey. We have reached Madison, WI and trying to go through the neighborhoods to find my friends' house. The radio starts to sound scratchy. Clearly, I think, we've lost signal. It's going annoying so I turn it down. Only problem, the scratchy sound isn't going away. I end up turning the radio all the way off and still hear the scratching. uh oh!

I pull over. Mom looks at me and says something like, "So, I bet your not getting out, right?" I look at her shake my head and inwardly say, "earn your keep."

She takes a flashlight and heads out into the night. She starts at the front of the car and begins to look around. "Turn off the lights," she requests while being blinded. She then continues around the passenger side of the car. Her door has remained open so I'm expecting to hear a "hmph" or something when she finds the culprit. I hear nothing.

As she gets back into the car, she stinks. "You've been near death, haven't you?" I ask. (Seriously, why am I so creepy.) "I'm not going to tell you," she responds. Well, great. There's my answer.

She explained that when we hit the animal, it had exacted his revenge and pulled some of the car down with it. That was what was dragging.

Okay, now we knew the problem, time to continue to my friends'.

I turned on the car, reached for the lights, turned it and nothing. nothing. NOTHING! No lights came one. uh oh. Both lights out! I tried the brights. The passenger side bright came on but not the other. uh....

We drove to the Brown's dragging something under the car with one working bright light.

I'd say that's an excellent way to begin a road trip, right? At any rate, AAA should be here any minute.

the nomad


(PS: My mom and I are completely in love with my friends' house and hospitality. They are the best! I wish I had more time with them.)

6 comments:

  1. I wish you did, too. We had so much fun having you as visitors! And I think your mom loved the boys. :) Safe travels. I'll be reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE LOVE LOVE the "earn your keep" thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Irrational fear of dead animals" gives me flashbacks to the Stricker's basement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe this is what you were looking for? God didn't want you to leave Chicago. lol jkjk Pretty sure God could do better than road kill and light bulbs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle - Seriously, thank you so much! We were talking about how great you guys are all day! :)

    Aunt Becky - I'm glad you liked it. :)

    Stephanie - I'm not afraid I've blocked out what the Strickler's actually had in their basement. I'm sure it's for the best. haha. However, yes, that lame "fear" has stuck around. So much so, that I left a hotel tonight before I even entered it. It looked too "lodge-y" and sure enough I could see deer from the window. ugh.

    Anon - precisely :) haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Good start to your trip! lol.

    ReplyDelete