Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The road to no where

I'm tired. exhausted really. The phrase "road weary" finally has meaning in my life.

I've been on the road for 12 days. (technically there is a few hours more but Mom says I'm not supposed to count those...) I still have another 13ish.

So far, I've:
hit an animal in Wisconsin,
admired wind turbines in Minnesota,
slept in a super sweet mom and pop motel in South Dakota,
watched bison walk in front of my car in Wyoming,
driven over mountains in the dark in Montana,
been amazed at the beauty of Idaho,
left my heart in Washington,
conquered Pike's Place in under 2 hours in Seattle,
got VD in Portland (voodoo donuts),
heard seals in Northern California,
stood in trees in the Redwood Forrest,
ridden world famous coastal curves in Central California,
and walked the Walk of Fame in Hollywood.

Currently I'm in a writing lab in Santa Monica, CA. This is the first silence I've had in weeks. I'm enjoying every bit of it. I'm also, unexpectedly, getting a lot of work done while typing this blog. Batteries are charging, thank you notes are being written, pictures are being uploaded, and breathing is happening. hooray!

Oh, I should mention Catie and Kelly are at LAX waiting for their flights. It was good having them with me. I'm glad they were able to come. We had quite a few laughs, most of which over meals (sorry about that, Kelly!). We had really only one major fight and only a couple scuffles. not too bad, if you ask me. I have decided though, adding people adds stress. I'm glad it's just Leann when she joins me in 4 days.

During this journey, laden with adventure, I have still not forgotten my goal. I am constantly straining to hear God's voice through all of this. I'm seeking wisdom everywhere I turn. I'm asking questions and listening to the answers. However, I must admit, at this halfway point. I'm more confused than ever. I fear other things have become distractions in my mind.
There are three things I need: housing, job, and healthy, healing church. I have discovered this:
Chicago - job
Cincinnati - housing
Kokomo - church

hmm... so maybe not any of those options...well, then things really get hairy.
New Zealand? I tried not to think it's "God's will" every time I hear an accent or see a NZ t-shirt (there have been a surprising amount).
Deer Park? oh, I'd love too but I feel this one is out of my hands.
LA? no thanks. I've been here 20 hours and I'm done.
Where else? I don't know...

I know what the answer is. The answer is pick somewhere, anywhere. Plant yourself and do God's work. The rest will work itself out. I know that's the answer. It has to be. That is what everyone says. Besides doesn't God call us to just be content?

I picked up the Bible and opened it as we were speeding down the coast yesterday (it seemed fast, it took over 10 hours!). I decided to let the Bible fall where it fell. It fell open in Job. It was one of the passages where his friend is telling him to give up. After reading that, I skipped ahead to God's response. I just kept thinking two things over and over. 1: "I love God's sarcasm. This guys cracks me up." 2: "I know I'm not wise. I know nothing. So what now?" I still don't have that answer.

Do you?

--the nomad

3 comments:

  1. you never cease to amaze me and I love you more each day. I love hearing your heart through your words
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait to stand beside you in "The Garden of the Gods" and in that stillness just listen...your voice, the breeze, the majesty and beauty... and knowing inside you are still saying, "Okay, God, how what!"
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Gwen,

    Spoke with Lynn on Sunday ... he hadn't heard you would be willing to be here and lead a drama for Christmas. He was excited. He said he would check into it. We'll see.

    Road weary? I was road weary after 4 days! But, I'm a tad older than you! :) Enjoy the time alone...but you are not alone, ever, right? Enjoy this time with God!

    Love you much,
    Momma

    ReplyDelete