Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Last Day in La-la-land

Deer PARK isn't really "la-la-land" but, boy, has everything felt so peaceful and utopian out here. I say that completely remembering that I am a realist. I know it isn't. I know everyone has jobs and bills and other every day inconveniences out here too. It's just that they also have mountains, open spaces, and gardens. And that's just the exterior. Not to mention that they are caring wonderful people who are more than willing to go out of their way for another person at a drop of a hat. They take time to invest in others. It's the kinda of hospitality that makes me miss small towns, wish for a simpler life, and even a little proud to be an American.

Today started early again (oh, internal clock!), 7 AM, and I could not get back to sleep. I came down stairs and watched some cooking shows with Marilyn, played with the granddaughter, and chatted a bit with Nathan's sister.

Around noon we went into town to try out the new Thai restaurant. Um...yum! First off, this place has the ability to make most of the Thai restaurants in Chicago look bad. really bad. Secondly, there lunch special is a pick two kind of ordeal with your choice of Pad Thai noodles or sticky rice. I chose the Stir Fry Beef and the Soup of the Day with the pad thai. The Beef was so good. It was mixed with a lot of colorful veggies and all kinds of wonderfulness. The Soup was surprisingly good as well. It contained chicken, tomatoes and mushrooms in a coconut milk/lime juice broth. delicious. I drank hot water with lemon. It was so good. I tried some of Nathan's curry beef and peanut chicken. Both equally amazing as well.

After a fun, loud dinner (there were 8 adults and 2 1-year-olds in our party), Nathan and I went to Mt. Spokane.

There will never be a picture that can capture it's beauty. I tried. It was here, as I was walking up rocks feeling like a billy goat, that I realized that I have really never been to the mountains before. As I stood on the unmarked line that separated Idaho and Washington, I felt like I could see everything. I felt like I could fly. I felt free. It was a beautiful place. I wanted to cry but of course didn't.

As we ascending, I mentioned that it felt like we were driving to Heaven. Thankfully the descent did not feel oppositely.

Nathan and I had some nice conversations in the car ride. Hopefully we cleared up some old misunderstandings. I love those kind of conversations. The kind that feel like you are actually hearing each other and are able to apologize for past wrongs.

Now I have a bit of down time before youth group, final hang out time, and packing up the car. I may go nap or I may read. Either way, I'll probably end up sleeping for a little while. Talk to you soon.

- the nomad

1 comment:

  1. Just to let anyone know...the group is now in Seattle. I was sent a picture of the Space Needle.

    Last night I got home and sat down ... several hours later I woke. Looking forward til tomorrow when I can hopefully sleep in and maybe finally catch up on my sleep.

    Yay for trips! Continue to enjoy this trip!!

    Momma

    ReplyDelete