Saturday, October 2, 2010

I've been in 3 states today. How about you?

Today was a big driving day. (9?)

Tomorrow may be worse. (12+)

Or maybe worse is not the right word. Maybe "longer." And, maybe, "longer" is not so bad...

After all, I today I saw wind turbines. And I'm talking tons of turbines. Wisconsin, you certainly love your turbine fields. I love them too. Thanks for your fields and fields of them. They provided hundreds of photo ops.

I ate and ate and ate today. The Costco bag of dried mangoes and berries has almost disappeared completely. oops. Road trips are for snacking.

Also, I continued my nerdiness by beginning record logs of cost, funny phrases, and of course, license plates. I think we already have about 10.

I spent most of today trying to capture the beauty of Wisconsin and Minnesota with my camera lens.

I tried to capture the fun stuff, too: Home of Ringling Brothers Circus, PUPRLE roads!, a Minnesota soda machine, crazy cool barn, and a sign for the Hormel SPAM museum!

Did I mention I shot some wind turbines today? ;)

Today, I slept in the car. Well, I tried to at any rate. Mom drove most of Minnesota and Wisconsin. I somehow keep getting the night shifts. Fear not, I have driven in every state so far. Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and South Dakota.

I also witnessed something today that I've never seen before: my mom turned up the music! up! up, I said, not down. And guess what it was? Bohemian Rhapsody. Queen'll get you every time. She even kept the volume up (that, of course, being a relative term) throughout the entire cd. When it looped, we listened to it again. That Megan, she makes a heck of a mix. :)

Finally, today, I got to talk to my mom. She listened to me as I struggle to figure out what "big" means in my life. I listen to her talk about work, friends and frenemies. We laughed at her hilarious "kid" as he continued to send us humorous texts throughout the day. (My mom is an interpreter.) We included my sister on speakerphone as she got off work. Amazingly, we only fought once. (Someone didn't get the picture of the sign that said "Home of Laura Ingalls Wilder. And someone else pouted like a baby. You can decide who was who.) Mostly, we just relaxed in each other's presence. After all, if you get the meat and potatoes of it, that's exactly what this trip is all about. It's about sharing stories, sharing adventures, and, mostly, sharing life.

And, here's hoping that tomorrow's 12 hours, brings even more life. :)

the nomad

6 comments:

  1. I love, love, LOVE the picture of the red barn that they added to and expanded about 50 times...That is so COOL. and I'm afraid I would have pouted too about missing the pic of the LIW sign...I've wanted to see that. We need to go back to Minnesota. Beautiful pics, Gwen...guess you're glad you go the camera, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was supposed to be "got" the camera. Sorry. Hey-what exactly happened to the car and how did it get resolved...what needed done? Is everything good now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos... a friend of mine would love the orange farm buildings,that is a LOT of orange. The teach your kids where Spam comes from is so funny.

    Sorry you miss Mrs Wilders sign and home. You can always plan another trip just to stop and see her home stead.

    Stay safe and keep shooting the photos. Its my way of going on vacation...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this whole trip and that I get to stalk you all across the west. It makes me happy. Hey guess what... It makes God happy too! And the giant barn makes me happy too. You could play hide and go seek in that thing for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, everyone... I saw a "cathedral" instead of barn. I put it on my desktop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha. I love that you saw a cathedral. I cannot wait to post all the new pictures. Sadly, I don't have wifi out here for my macbook.

    ReplyDelete