Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bits and Pieces (print edition)

1. South Dakota is really, surprisingly pretty.

2. Wyoming is not. Until you are getting close to the end. Then there are mountains and they mock you because they are hours away.

3. I will never be able to sleep in the car. Yesterday I was taking everything in. Today, every time I closed my eyes Mom would “oh, wow, that’s beautiful. No, go ahead and sleep…” Yeah, that’s gonna happen

4. Taking silly pictures at Mt Rushmore is much harder with my fancy camera that insists on focusing on the closest subject.

5. That will not stop me from trying to get really, really silly pictures and inspiring strangers around me to do the same thing.

6. I have a new appreciation for the phrase “cattle on thousand hills.”

7. I really love prairie dogs. We did not go to prairie dog town.

8. I tried to take a picture of 1880 Town and ended up with a picture of a dinosaur. Not quite sure how that happened but I like it.

9. I also got the pictures of 1880 Town.

10. I saw where Dancing with Wolves was filmed. Mom is currently watching it at school so she was geeking out when we passed it.

11. Everyone and everything in the northern plains loves their stuffed animals.

12. I went to Wall Drug. I just didn’t go in.

13. I took over 700 pictures today. I am my mother’s daughter. There will be a slide presentation when I get back. Keep in mind this is day 2. J

14. The Badlands aren’t as really all that “bad.” You just don’t know their sweet side. I suggest buttering them with flowers and chocolates.

15. Our parking ticket into Mt Rushmore is good for the rest of the year!


16. Mom would like me to mention the friendliness of the manager at McDonalds. He was quite friendly. He chatted with everyone, made sure everyone had internet that wanted it, and gave us directions. Nice guy.

17. The ‘free WIFI’ at McDonalds didn’t work.

18. We pilfered internet from the restaurant next to McDonald’s. score.

19. Trains are the best part of Wyoming. However every train we’ve seen has had 3 engines. One backwards on the end and two on the front, one of those also backwards.

20. John is finally my text friend! Hooray.

21. I'm not sleeping in Yellowstone tonight. boo.

Mom is trying to move her ticket to stay another day. We are quite a bit behind.

Pray for our 13 hour drive tomorrow.


goodnight

-the nomad

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to cyberstalk, but I'm rather interested in your journey. The focusing issue with your camera is known as depth of field, and you need to check your aperature. You eliminate this by increasing your F-stop number. There are ways you can do this through your menu, but the easiest way is to go to the "A" mode on your camera (that little dial on top of the camera). I'm sure you can Google this for more info. Drive safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so excited to join you on the Colorado leg of the trip...wish now it was the whole way...but the great thing about this blog is that I AM (well it's alomst like being there, right?)
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve - fear not, I approve this form of cyber stalking. :) As far as figuring out my camera, I've decided all I need to know now is "A" for Automatic. haha. Hopefully, I'll figure out more soon but for now it's enough

    Dad - I can't wait for the volumes of stories I'll get when you join me in Colorado! :) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you explain #11 above. What's with the stuffed animals?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could tell you. Taxidermy is a big thing out there. Happens to be my biggest irrational fear. ugh. not fun to take pictures of a quaint house in the country only to look at the photo and see tons of antlers and skulls hung on the outside.

    ReplyDelete