Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Day in deerpARK

****Special News Bulletin
I interrupt our usually schedule blog post to bring you this special announcement:

Washington State is 2 to 3 hours behind 95% of this viewing audience.
I am sorry that the posts are being posted while you sleep. I'd say I'd work on it, but then I'm posting instead of living and that's counter-productive. Set your clocks, people. These new posts will be up in the middle of the night. or you could wait. I'd wait. but I like sleep.
Anyway, I send you this message because I've been hearing that there are rumblings about the infrequency of posts. They are not infrequent. They are just late. Still one, at least, a day. :)
I love you all.
Thus concludes this special news bulletin. Please return to your regularly scheduled blog.
*********

Well, hello and good evening (night? morning?!) from Deer Park, WA.

Today was filled with excitement. I confused my body, thanks to time zone changes, and woke up at 7:30 am. Then I realized what I had done and way overshot waking up at 10. oops.

Fear not, I'm in the greatest place ever. I got up, showered, and was offered some wonderful, homemade Pear, Orange, Lemon, Heaven jelly that Nathan's m0m had canned yesterday! delightful does not begin to tell it. While I was eating this toast, she was beginning to bake some pumpkin bread. She is amazing. Seriously, Marilyn, is simply amazing.

After all that, Nathan called about meeting for lunch. I scrambled around to get my keys and leave. They were no where to be found. I went back upstairs to look in my room. nothing. search my purse again. nothing. the living nothing. Finally, it dawns on me, "Did I leave them in the car?"

(Now I know what you are thinking..."oh no, she had to call AAA again"... nah, no one locks cars out here. That's what I was told Day 1! oh the country...)

So I go outside. Sure, there they are...ON the car! on the roof, no less! ack! Apparently my sub-conscience took that "we live in the country/we don't lock our doors thing" to heart. whoops. that could have ended very, very badly!

Anyway, off I went to the church where Nathan works loaded up with tomato soup and cough drops. (he's a bit sick. :( ) We made lunch at the church. Wonderfully awesome grilled cheese and avocado sandwiches with tomato basil soup. Some of the same people from last night were there for lunch as well. It's so great to not just meet new people, but to get to know them better. And, honestly, I cannot say enough great things about the people I'm meeting in Deer Park!

After lunch, Nathan and the youth minister's wife took me on the grand tour of the thriving metropolis that is deer pARK. (that's how locals emphasize it. transfers say "DEER park") It lasted about 10 minutes because Nathan was driving slow and pointed out everything: the elementary school, the new high school, his old piano teacher's house... all the highlights.
The town has less than 5000 people in living in it. However, there are quite a few (tons!) of ranches out here too.

The tour ended by stalking one of the kids in the youth group. He was driving by and Nathan honked at him. The kid didn't respond so we followed him. That's logically, right? haha. It ended up being pretty funny.

Then we headed back to the church where Nathan and I had a chance to hang out and catch up a bit before his bible study.

During his bible study, I decided to be brave. (raise your hand if you think that was a good idea) I took off trying to figure out my way back to his parents' house. I figured if I got stuck, I'd just take a picture of whatever horse or field was around. If everything really fell apart, I'd pull out the GPS. And if I was still lost, I'd make a call. Well, I took lots of pictures. However I never even touched the GPS! And, that, my friends, is a success!

I got back just in time to feed the horses(!) before Nathan to called to say bible study was over. So I trekked out to his place for dinner bearing bags of squash, tomatoes, and a carrot (nature's popsicle!).

The people he is staying with are simply amazing. Seriously. They are awesome people. They are foster parents to 7 kids, currently. They are building (by themselves!) the biggest gym/weight room/game room/etc... building I've ever seen on a private property. It is a HUGE two-story barn just for the kids' enjoyment. Currently the outside is up but the inside is still just wall supports and beams. Even so, I still got the grand tour. It is going to be amazing!

After seeing everything they are doing on the property and getting a quick rundown of their child-raising philosophy (including why foster over adoption), I was able to sit down and eat with them. What a fun meal! The mom was out at a lesson or something so it was me and table full of boys. I hope it was glimpse into my future. Seriously, it made my heart swell. I love a table full of silly, sweet jr/sr high boys. After we ate, I helped a bit with dishes and amused them a bit with my rendition of speed reading "Fox in Socks." (I don't recommend speed reading that book)

Then Nathan and I were off again. Nathan to a board meeting; me to read in his office. While planning this trip, I decided to re-read some books that have been helpful on spiritual journeys before. Today I began re-reading "When Godly Robes Unravel" by Randall Massie. I'm about three chapters in and already being reminded why I loved (struggled) with this book so much. It calls for holiness. It called for us to get rid of our idolatry. It's a very challenging book. I really hope I'm honest while reading it.

When Nathan was done with the meeting, it was time for Glee! Yes, my new Deer Park friends are Gleeks! hooray! They get to together and watch it every week. It, again, was refreshing just to be with a group of people hanging out. I'm being quite honest when I say I don't know the last time that has happened. I am definitely a group person. This is first big group of people on a giant wrap around couch of fun in at least a year! oh, that realization hurts. It is completely true though. It was great to just hang out. I laughed so hard at their interactions. They laughed at me as the couch began to eat me. I laughed at Nathan's "Mama bear," to which he is the "golden child". I laughed at them as teased each other. I laughed at inside jokes that had been established the night before. I laughed. I simply laughed.

As if that wasn't enough, they put in Tim Hawkins newest dvd. We laughed even more. Pausing only to tell relatable stories and laugh again. Such a great night.

Side note, it is weird that they are all obsessed with Tim Hawkins because he is friends with my friend John Branyan who is featured in Tim's special features. It is weird. Kinda like the 6 degrees to Kevin Bacon, only I'm 2 and it isn't Kevin Bacon, but I am only 2 from Kevin Bacon... oh great I'm getting off track again.

Anyway, when all is said and done, today was a lovely, lovely day. This is a simply wonderful place. I've felt more at home here than I have in years. And yet, on Thursday morning I'm leaving. Some of them have begun a campaign to bring me back after the trip. We'll have to see. But even if not, it's been a refreshing reminder of what God wants us to be like and how He wants us to live together. Thank you, Deer Park, from the bottom of my heart. I can't wait to see what tomorrow has in store. :)

-the nomad

5 comments:

  1. Love to read about the joy of life returning back into the heart of my daughter
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so enamored with your essence! Finding "home" and "laughing".

    Also, whenever your journeys make it through Dallas, a soft or a hard bed, a hot meal(s), swings galore, and a 62" big screen internet and four more computers are here for your use. Any time you need a little Texas hospitality. The weather is awesome this time of year!!! And NO taxidermy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The phrase "laughter is good for the soul" springs to mind, but doesn't do justice to what you've described. I'm so glad you had this experience and btw, it makes me want to visit Deer PARK some day... and I do wish it were not quite so far from the midwest.

    Also- is it something in the way we were raised, or the place from whence our roots began that makes us feel such a close affiliation with people who make jelly and jam? I don't really know Nathan (isn't he one of the group that came by one Sunday a couple of years ago for lunch?) and I haven't met his parents, but I feel "FRIENDS" with his mom...tell her hi from Aunt Becky. Love you, Gwen. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should listen to those people who are trying to get you to move to Deer Park. They sound very wise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Second day of back to school for me, starting to feel it more today, glad there are no plans this evening!! I do wish I could have spent more time on this trip with you, but I did enjoy the time speeding across this beautiful country with you! The vast differences in the country side was amazing!

    I loved living your trip with you as well as virtually on your blog!

    Momma

    ReplyDelete